Monday, February 09, 2009

YOUTH MINISTRY: LISTENING PARTY

LISTENING PARTY. YEAH!




On Sunday night, January 25, 2009, our very own Student Action Leadership Team (a.k.a. SALT) took charge of the youth meeting. We proceeded to have a "listening party", so to speak. Each of the 9 members of the leadership team picked a song that was meaningful to them. They designed a whole night of Youth Focus around those songs. We had some discussion... some interaction and activity and we discoverd how God was able to speak to us all... through the music, the videos and the lyrics.

Below are some general notes, as well as video clips that helped make up this Listening Party.

Hope you enjoyed it. Leave us a comment below and tell us what you thought!

Song 1: Corey's choice: Brooks and Dunn - Believe (lyrics)

I raise my hands, bow my head
I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red
They tell me that there's more to life than just what i can see
Oh i believe


QUESTION: Think about older people in your life who have had a positive impact on your life. What did you learn from them? Why did you look up to them?

Song 2: Rachel's choice: Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten (lyrics)

Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten, yeah


ACTIVITY: Youth were invited to write either a dream or a worry on the dry erase board. After the song, the words were erased... symbolic of God being in control of our hopes, dreams and even our worries.

Song 3: Aaron's choice: P.O.D. - Alive (lyrics)

Everyday is a new day
I'm thankful for
Every breath I take
I won't take you for granted (I won't take you for granted)
So I learn from my mistakes
It's beyond my control
Sometimes it's best to let go
Whatever happens
In this lifetime
So I trust in love (so I trust in love)
You have given me
Peace of mind


Song 4: Sam's choice: Goo Goo Dolls - Better Days (lyrics)

So take these words
And sing out loud
Cuz everyone is forgiven now
Cuz tonight's the night the world begins again


Matthew 1:21 + John 3:16

Song 5: Lacie's Choice: Lenka - The Show (lyrics)

CLICK TO WATCH THE MUSIC VIDEO



(Created by P.Barr)

Song 6: Megan's choice: Lazlo Bane - Superman (lyrics)

Are you weary? (Matt. 11:28-20)

Desiring a 'full life'? (John 10:10)

How is your soul? (Matt. 16:26)

What is impossible? (Matt. 19:26)



Song 7: Brian's choice: Attack Attack! - Bro, Ashley's Here (lyrics)

Get up, get up, He's calling your name,
You don't have to be something you're not.
Someday came suddenly and now I'm standing here.
Get up, get up, He's calling your name,
You don't have to be something you're not.
Someday came suddenly and now I'm left standing here.



(Created by P.Barr)

Song 8: Katie's choice: Goo Goo Dolls - Before It's To Late (lyrics)

and the risk that might break you
Is the one that would save
A life you dont live is still lost
So stand on the edge with me
Hold back your fear and see
Nothing is real til it's gone


Take a risk... jump. kind of goes along with our theme for 2008/2009... JUMP!

Katie then showed us a clip from the Gilmore Girls that connects with the song played.


QUESTION: What risks might God be calling you to take? How can you share your faith with the world or show it to all?

Katie then had us go out to the gym and form small groups. We then put puzzles together with quotes written on the connected pieces... quotes about 'risk' and 'living life to the full'. Together, each groups individual puzzles then formed Joshua 1:9: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

The SALT did a great job leading. I hope you gained some new insight as a result of what they taught us. Leave comments below!

The common theme throughout all of these songs seemed to be:

LIVE LIFE.


We were reminded of John 10:10... Jesus said "I have come to give you life to the fullest."

No comments: