Saturday, September 10, 2005

9/11... i remember...

September 11th will come and go, for me, without much fanfare. To be completely honest, my mind will be elsewhere. For starters, the NFL season kicks off, so I will be glued to the TV most of the afternoon. Then, later that night, my job as a Youth Director will have me leading a fall kickoff for our youth group. To be honest, it has been weird hanging up flyers, promoting a youth event with the date 9-11 at the bottom. I don't think anyone can look at those numbers, in that order, without thinking about that tragic day in New York four years ago.

I have not forgotten 9/11. Maybe it's that tramatic of a moment in my lifetime, maybe it's because I'm a history buff...I don't know. But I have to admit, a part of me is fascinated by it all. There are so many compelling stories regarding the events of September 11th, when terrorists knocked us down...but not out. I've done some reading and investigating on the events and that which led up to that horrible day. We (United States) missed a lot of signs and opportunities to prevent this. But on the other hand, we don't think like a terrorist. The idea of using people and airplanes as a means of destruction are foreign to us...

I will be busy on September 11th but I will not forget September 11th.


-----------


i remember where i was when i found out... we were having a staff breakfast, celebrating a co-workers birthday @ the Cracker Barrell when the waitress came out and said "a plane hit the Trade Center." It took me a minute to remember what and where the World Trade Center actually was. When we left, my dad turned on the car radio. Peter Jennings was on ABCNews Radio... a few minutes after we departed, the first tower fell to the ground...

Ironically, unbeknownst to us, Flight 93 was probably flying over head about that time, as it was picked up on radar over Northeast Ohio.

By the time we got back to the office, I decided to head home to see what was unfolding. Just as I got home, the 2nd tower fell... before my eyes, on national tv.

the world will never be the same...

No comments: