THE STORY OF LUKE 5 (IN A NUTSHELL)
- Fishers of Men called
- Man with leprosy healed
- Others join in on the healing
- Two guys cut a hole in the roof
- Sins forgiven / Pharisees mad
- Crippled man walks
- Awestruck people
based on the Gospel of Luke, chapter 5
- ”they pulled their boats to shore, dropped their nets and followed Jesus”
- they literally left everything... all the fish Jesus just helped them catch!
- think of the amounts of money that amount of fish would have brought them?
- they knew - in an instant - what it meant to to be in the presence of the Messiah.
- they recognized holiness.
- the holiness drew them in and they followed, without question.
- ”I want to be clean”
- the leper had the desire and couldn't keep quiet about it.
- ”a large crowd gathered to listen and be healed…”
- God's gonna reveal himself. You watch and see.
- Do we have expectant hearts? do we have that kind of belief?
- it's all about perspective... point of view. glass half full or half empty? do you visit the Grand Canyon and complain about the dirt on your shoes? do you watch the sun setting on the shores of Lake Erie and focus on the sand between your toes? the big picture reveals greatness, and the big picture of Christ's invitation to a changed life is to be celebrated.
- being in His presence brings about change. if we don't want to change - do we really want to be in the presence of Jesus? why resist the party?
- ”when they couldn’t find a way in… they cut a hole In the roof… Impressed by their bold belief, Jesus said, 'friend, your sins are forgiven.'”
- What must it feel like to have Jesus Christ impressed by your boldness?
- Whose boldness for the Gospel are we impressed with?
- ”awestruck, they said “we’ve never seen anything like this.”
- Are we amazed at the mysteries of God?
- if the mystery fades - does our need for God fade?
- Like a child's Happy Meal toy... soon the amazement fades and the cheap toy is discarded.
- it shouldn't be that way for those who follow God and his teaching, yet - it often is.
- We ought to be awestruck every time we witness the presence of God.
if we allow it, DOUBTS WILL CREEP IN and squelch…
OUR ABILITY TO FOLLOW
WHILE THE AMAZEMENT FADES
but we can exchange our doubts for courage to follow Him. the hand of Christ is extended to us - just like it was extended to Peter after he lost faith (in himself, perhaps) and began to sink after walking on the water to meet Jesus.
Christ’s invitation to a changed life...
IT'S ALL ABOUT PERSPECTIVE.
Now playing: Explosions In The Sky - So Long, Lonesome (Eluvium Mix)