Friday, October 17, 2008

Zidane: attentive to more than the game


this is a clip from the documentary film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait.

as an avid soccer fan and a former player (and now coach) i have always appreciated the art of the game. soccer or futball has been referred to as the 'beautiful game'.

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait was filmed in real time with 17 synchronized cameras - following every move of Zinedine Zidane - the World & Euro Cup champion player from France.

I have yet to see this film in its entirety - as it has not been released on DVD in America yet. I hope that one day it does. But this clip from YouTube is beautiful to me for many reasons.

for one, it is neat to see how aware he is as he plays... how things are intensified... how immersed he is as he plays. His keen awareness says a lot about the human condition, i think - and what we are capable of.

i think his awareness to the game and his surroundings is a distinct parallel to one's potential awareness to the movement of the Spirit around them each and every day. Are you aware?

enjoy.



tell me what you think.



---

post script: i forgot to mention that Mogwai did the soundtrack to the film - and it is just as beautiful. (i got it from eMusic a lot cheaper than amazon)

also - here is the trailer to the film:

1 comment:

troy. said...

Sitting here at Atlanta Bread on a Friday evening.

Alone.

No wife. Girl's Night for her.

I can hear the employees cleaning. Eager to escape their cage and live. Closing time is near.

I can hear mother and son discuss a video message they are watching.

And the group of friends in the back corner discussing, with interest, that I can't exactly make out -- more by choice.

Background music is classical, but not good classical. Run of the mill. Easy to tune out. In fact, I just realized I'm hearing it now for the first time in a few minutes.

Zidane...back to him...not sure I can get over the headbutt.

Grace.

Certain that if I do I'd be watching that alone too.

Just like I am right now.

Alone.

Just me.

How it used to be -- for so many years.

Now I share life with another -- greatful to God for her.

10 min. till closing. Used to work at begal shop and will leave now b/c I know...

Their freedom comes sooner if I leave now and they can wipe my table and sweep under my chair.

Out.