Wednesday, September 30, 2009

carried through

many children have that special thing that serves as a pacifier of sorts. Linus from Peanuts© had his blanket. Andy from Toy Story© had Woody. when I was a child, I had this stuffed teddy bear who was dressed in a train engineer outfit... Blue stripped overalls. Red handkerchief. Train engineers hat. I called him Choo Choo Charlie.

One day, i was playing and decided "wouldn't it be cool if Choo Choo Charlie got into some sort of train accident? So i found in my sisters room some lipstick and i smeared it all over Choo Choo's face and arms - so as to resemble blood, i guess. (disturbing, I know). When i was done playing 'train accident' i discovered that said lipstick would not come off. His fur was permanently scarred. the bear was damaged goods.

But i didn't mind. despite his flaws, i loved that bear. over time it became even more flawed... ripped clothes, frayed fur, etc. by any stretch - it was broken; certainly less than perfect. but regardless, i still loved that bear. Why? because there was a bond. a connection. a shared comfort. i carried him proudly.

it was a part of me.

i think it's kind of the same with God. we have our cuts and bruises. some manufactured by us. some caused by others. but despite our flaws - our ripped souls and broken hearts - we are still loved by God. Why? because there is a bond. a connection. a shared comfort. God delights in us. believe that. we are his pride and joy.

and he carries us proudly.




When the water's too high
When the water's too high
I will carry you
I will carry you

When the night is too black
When the night is too black
I will carry you
I will carry you

Save Me O' God

No comments: