Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Book Review: On the Road

On The Road, Classics of Modern Literature (Classics of Modern Literature (CML))On The Road, Classics of Modern Literature by Jack Kerouac

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Jack Kerouac is a writer - not an author. Truman Capote said something like that about Kerouac and i agree.

i've always wanted to read On The Road. Always wanted to read Kerouac. call it a fascination. i've been drawn to 'road' type books and stories and On The Road had been on my 'To Read' shelf for quite some time.

although i am glad i read the book - my time could have been used more wisely. Kerouac left me disappointed.

there is no real story here. just words... just a recollection. there is no climax... no rising or falling action. just words and names and snipets of events that took place in Kerouac's life (as Sal Paradise in the book).

the one part that was intriguing to me was the first third of the book - about Sal's escapade hitchhiking across the U.S. other than that - his obsession with Dean proved to be less of a story and more of a desperate attempt to find meaning in his life.

As much as i wanted to like On The Road - i can't say that it was truly worth my time.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: