Friday, April 22, 2011

(lent) 2











#2


The lowest channel of television in the United States.

number of animals of each kind in Noah's Ark.

in the Jewish tradition, the number of witnesses needed to offer testimony, required to verify and validate events.

number of pencil most commonly used in America.

point conversion. in football, after scoring a touchdown the offensive team may choose to kick the extra point or go for 2.

2.0 = a 'C' average.

2 is better than one. so says Solomon.
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.

You'll Never Walk Alone. emboldened upon the crest of Liverpool FC in England. Two are better than one.
Adam & Eve. Moses & Aaron. Joshua & Caleb. David & Jonathan. Naomi & Esther. Mary & Joseph. Jesus & John (the Baptist). Peter & John. Paul & Silas.


the number of criminals crucified on crosses to the left and right of Jesus. it happened on a Friday. one, stubborn even til his point of death, mocked Christ on the cross. the other cried out.
39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

from Luke 23


such is life. we can be stubborn or we can cry out. we can mock God or claim His name.

on this dark day, this Good Friday - what will we choose?

Remember.

44-46By now it was noon. The whole earth became dark, the darkness lasting three hours—a total blackout. The Temple curtain split right down the middle. Jesus called loudly, "Father, I place my life in your hands!" Then he breathed his last.

47When the captain there saw what happened, he honored God: "This man was innocent! A good man, and innocent!"

48-49All who had come around as spectators to watch the show, when they saw what actually happened, were overcome with grief and headed home. Those who knew Jesus well, along with the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a respectful distance and kept vigil.

from Luke 23 (the Message)

innocent yet crucified. Holy yet sin-burdened.

and what do we gain? nothing, if we neglect to claim it.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom



though sorrow may last for the night, joy comes in the morning...

because He didn't stay dead...
but that's another story...

No comments: