Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Why I Love My Job as Youth Director

God has a funny way of making His plans our plans. When I was in High School, I had my whole life planned out. I’d work at a TV station or radio station, make lots of money and live the fabulous life. Somewhere along the way, God placed a desire in my heart for Youth Ministry. I had been working with youth, at the volunteer level, since 1994. But it was the summer of 1999 when God began to speak to me and opened the doors of opportunity for full time youth ministry.

At the time, a pastor friend of mine approached me about taking the position of Youth Director at another area Methodist Church. I turned him down, because I wasn’t quite ready for that yet. As a result, God began to work in me, to change my desires to His desires. A few months later, in November of 1999, this church and its youth program were in crisis. I was approached by members of this congregation - requesting that I apply for the new position of Director of Youth Ministries. God had been preparing me for this job and his hand was upon me and the leaders of this church as I interviewed and accepted the job. I gave up my desire for video production and gave way to God’s desire for youth ministry. I believe that God will grant you the desires of your heart... or He’ll change those desires. I am so glad God changed my desires. Here’s why.

I love spending time with teenagers. Maybe it’s because I seem to have more in common with them than with some adults. I like the same movies, music and TV shows that they like. I love being real with them. Be real. Be original. Be yourself has been a reoccurring message for five years. I preach that because if we can’t be genuine with ourselves or each other, then how will we ever be genuine with God? After all, it’s o.k. to be sold out for Christ. No apologies. That’s a mandate. We can’t fool God by living a double lifestyle (loving Jesus on Sunday; loving the world Monday thru Friday). Last year, we came up with this slogan: "You’re just jealous because I’m a real freak & you have to wear a mask."

I love watching teens grow spiritually. It’s a high calling to be in a position of ministry. I will be held accountable for everything that is taught to them. That is a major responsibility that I don’t take lightly. It is an honor for me to have a role in their spiritual development. The best part is when it clicks, when it all comes together for them. This year our core group of youth really want to grow in their faith. We’ve been studying what it means to be an alien youth (1 Peter 2:11-12); learning how to resist sin, how to embrace the Holy Spirit, how to worship with our whole heart, how to transform our minds and how to implement an alien lifestyle. We are called to be different and set apart. It’s time we start doing it!

I love being there for them. Being Director of Youth Ministries is a full time job. Our schedule is filled with retreats, camps, mission trips, and special events. Every one of our activities is provided so that we can meet the needs of the youth in this community. Last Friday we hosted a 5th Quarter party after a Leopard football game. We expected 50 teens to show up. We got 170! To God be the glory. Nearly ten percent of Louisville students in 7th thru 12th grade were in our building and had a chance to see Christ lived out. It was all about planting seeds that night. Our youth ministry is here to meet the needs of those who need Jesus. It’s an investment in the future of this church. It’s an investment in the future of this world. Say what you will about teenagers today - their clothes are too tight, their music is too loud, their respect for their elders is waning; can you think of a better place for them to be, than here in our church? I love this ministry because I think kids feel comfortable here. It doesn’t matter what your background is or if your parents are divorced. It doesn’t matter if you play football or are in the band. You are welcome here. No, we are not a perfect youth group. At times, cliques arise, but we do the best we can to provide a comfortable atmosphere for one and all.

I believe the comfort level is why over 50 percent of our weekly youth attendees are what I would call ‘non-traditional church goers.’ They don’t have parents in this church nor have they grown up in any church. And yet, they come here. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but I’ll embrace that. The way I see it, it can only be God, because I certainly do not have the ability to do what seems impossible. Nearly 50 different teenagers walk through our doors and into our care each week. God has placed this church here for a reason. We will not neglect those that God has brought to us.

I love these kids. They are like family to me. When they hurt, I hurt. When they rejoice, I rejoice. When one walks away from God, I mourn. I want what’s best for them. I want them to succeed. We’ve come a long way together. For many, I’ve watched them grow up, literally, right before my eyes. I can still remember the first Atwood Retreat we went on. Greg S. and Andrew M. were 7th graders. I didn’t have a bunk, so I crashed on the floor, right next to them. Now it’s five years later and they are both Seniors. They will never remember any other Youth Leader but me. Trust me, in youth ministry, that is not normal. The average life-span of a Youth Director at one church is less than 2 years. That is my proudest moment... Knowing that I have been there for those guys for their entire time in youth group. I look forward to building future bonds with other youth like I have with Greg & Andrew.

I am committed to seeing this through. Youth Ministry is my passion. The desire to see this community overrun with God loving Christian teenagers is stronger than ever. Even though persecution comes, I will not stand silent. Whether people think I deserve this job or deserve my salary, I will continue to follow my calling that is higher than anything that comes from man.
I don’t write these things so that I can be glorified or so that I can receive anyone’s praise. I write this so that God can be glorified and so that you may join with me in thanking God for the blessings he has brought to this church. As the leader of our youth, may I thank you on their behalf for all the support you give to us. We are the future. We are tomorrow. But we are ready today - to follow the example of Christ so that this community and this world can experience the redeeming love of God - through our actions and words.

No comments: