Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rainbows















exactly 2 weeks ago - like many others - i went to Radiohead's website to download their latest album In Rainbows. As of right now - they are distributing it themselves, via their website. you can download the 10 song album of mp3's for whatever you want to pay for it. i paid two or three pounds, which now is like 5 or 6 bucks.

at first, i liked it, but wasn't head over heals about it. then i listened to it again. it grew on me... and again and again, it grew and grew.

A friend of mine blogged about it last week and that got me to want to listen to Rainbows again. I haven't stopped since. Almost literally. I've listened to nothing but Rainbows since. My iTunes play count is nearing 20 for most of the songs.

it's a beautiful, melodic, orchestral and sometimes haunting album. worth what ever you want to pay for it.

---

my In Rainbows 'i get chills' moments

@ 2:20 - 3:10 of 15 Step
"It's the 21st Century, It is the 21st century" part of Bodysnatchers
the Arpeggi part (3:40-end of song) of Wierd Fishes/Arpeggi
Thom Yorke's haunting vocals on All I Need (which builds to a beautiful crescendo of instrumentation with eerie lyrics repeated "It's all wrong, It's all right, It's all wrong" from 2:45 til the end of the song)
the simplicity of House of Cards
2:54 - end of song of Jigsaw Falling into Place

---

A breakdown of each song can be found HERE. lyrics (and some insight into songs such as Wierd Fishes/Arpeggi) can be found HERE.

A breakdown of instruments played on this album (and other previous albums) by Jonny Greenwood can be found HERE.


go and download Rainbows now. It'll be worth your money. How could it not be. You pay what you want for it.

1 comment:

troy. said...

I haven't stopped either. It sounds magical in my car w/ all the diff. sounds coming from all the diff. speakers. We may need to look into some sort of support group or something.

All I Need -- yep...when the piano kicks in at 2:45, I pretty much melt.

And thanks for the greenplastic.com tip -- amazing place for those sub-cranial journies into Yorke's mind.

This cracks me up.