Saturday, March 26, 2011

(lent) 25










25.


cent piece. the most commonly used coin among U.S. currency.


day of December in which we celebrate Christmas.


Hour. as in 25th Hour. a Spike Lee movie starring Edward Norton who has one last day of freedom before serving a seven year prison term.


name of the Greatest Hits album of George Michael, featuring hits from solo career and his time with Wham! Make it Big (Wham!) was the top album of 1985 while Michael's first solo recording Faith was the top album of 1988. His greatest album (which paled in comparison in popularity) was Listen without Prejudice vol. 1, released in 1990.


The number of points needed to win a set in volleyball under rally scoring rules.


The per-second frame rate of the PAL video standard. NTSC video has 30 frames per second while film is 24 frames per second.


the verse in John 11 where Jesus talks about belief, faith and life... true life. Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying."


chapter in the Gospel of Matthew where Jesus talks about sheep and goats. read it here. [matthew 25 from The Message translation] it's worth your time... worth digesting. chew on it and let it resonate...
sheep go to heaven. goats go to hell. a great song and video by Cake. [view it]
are you a sheep or a goat? a sheep listens to the Shepherd. a sheep does what he is told to do. according to Jesus what does a sheep do?
I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.'


'Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'

according to Jesus what does a goat do?
I was hungry and you gave me no meal,
I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
I was homeless and you gave me no bed,
I was shivering and you gave me no clothes,
Sick and in prison, and you never visited.'


'Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me.'

it sickens me as i reflect on my life, that i've too much acted like a goat, rather than a sheep.
Jesus gives this stern warning... this stern message. but in my experience - i've witnessed the church (by-and-large) ignore it. i've seen political parties draw battle lines over this (how we treat the poor, needy, foreigner, etc.). but with Jesus, there is no gray area.

it's black or white.

serve and be a sheep. a follower.

ignore need and be a goat. a wanderer.

i don't want to wander any more.

may our actions be worthy of Christ's mandate found in Matthew 25...

No comments: